1.0 Scope of Plan and Program Responsibilities
1.1 This plan applies to the laboratories used for instruction of all chemistry courses and the chemical storage areas. Specifically included are laboratories 345, 358, and the chemical storage areas in rooms 345, 349 and 359.
1.2 This plan covers chemistry faculty and support personnel directly involved in the chemistry program such as the Laboratory Manager and student assistants.
1.3 While not a requirement of the standard, where deemed relevant and appropriate, this plan shall also apply to students working in the laboratory.
1.4 The Laboratory Manager is designated Chemical Hygiene Officer with the following responsibilities.
· Work with faculty and staff to develop and implement the CHP.
· Oversee the training of laboratory assistants.
· Conduct periodic safety inspections of the chemistry laboratories and storage areas.
· Monitor storage, use and disposal of chemicals used in the chemistry programs.
· Review the CHP annually and make any necessary revisions.
1.5 The chemistry faculty is responsible for the following.
· Instruct students on the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the chemistry laboratories. These are described in section 4.1 and in the safety section of the lab manuals used in the laboratory courses.
· Instruct students on the location and proper use of safety equipment available in the laboratory. This includes the eye wash stations, showers, fume hoods, fire extinguishers and fire blankets.
· Design and use instructional experiments that minimize the amounts used and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
· Instruct students prior to the start of an experiment of any particular hazards associated with chemicals they may use in the experiment and insure that students are using the required personnel protection.