International Studies Education

International Students

Employment Information



On-Campus Employment
Any Neumann student can apply for on-campus jobs. F-1 students may work on-campus part-time (20 hours/week) during the academic year and full-time (40 hours/week) during the summer and college breaks. Once a job has been secured, students will need to obtain a social security number.  Please see the Neumann DSO for assistance with this.

Once you start work, your employer will need to see the following document in order to complete Form I-9, which verifies your identity and employment eligibility:

  • I-94 Arrival-Departure Record

  • I-20

  • Passport 

Hint: A good place to start your search for on-campus employment is the Sodexho Dining Service Office, located in the Bruder Life Center.   You might also try the Aramark Maintenance Office, Admissions Office, Bookstore, Library, etc.   

Off-Campus Employment - Including Internships & Co-ops
Off-Campus employment - including internships and required co-ops - for F-1 students is strictly regulated by USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Service) and F-1 students may not work without prior approval from this agency. The approval process can take up to 90 days, so students should plan ahead and apply early. 


There are two main types of off-campus employment available to international students; one is Optional Practical Training (OPT) and the other is Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students
USCIS permits students in F-1 status to work in the United States so that they may reinforce what they have learned in university and college degree programs. This benefit is called Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows F-1 students to obtain employment in areas related to their academic major. OPT is available for periods up to twelve months at each degree level. A job offer is not necessary to apply for OPT and a student may work for one or more employers, change jobs, or look for work during the training period.   If you have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least nine months, you are eligible for Optional Practical Training. An OPT job must be related to your academic major and be intended to cultivate practical experience. You may use your 12 months of OPT part-time while school is in session or full-time during summer breaks or after graduation, just keep in mind that the total of all OPT is 12 months.  Many students prefer to save their OPT until after graduation. Frequently Asked Questions about OPT

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students 

Curricular Practical Training allows F-1 students to work before graduation in an internship or independent study related to their field of study. You must have been a full-time student for at least nine consecutive months to qualify for CPT. CPT is authorized with a specific employer for a specific amount of time, so you will need an offer before applying.  The benefit of CPT is that it does not reduce the amount of OPT available, unless you use 12 full months of CPT. The internship or independent study must appear in your major department on your transcript for credit.  Frequently Asked Questions about CPT


Off-Campus Employment Due to Severe Economic Hardship for F1 Students 
F-1 students who encounter unforeseen, severe economic hardship after completing one academic year (also defined as nine consecutive months) may apply to USCIS for permission to work off-campus. To apply, you must document an unanticipated change in your financial support showing that your expenses have increased significantly or that your income has decreased significantly. You must also show USCIS that you have exhausted other employment opportunities. Students who can document that they have encountered an unforeseen economic hardship after completing one academic year in the U.S. should contact Neumann’s DSO. Generally, it takes the USCIS two months to approve an application for off-campus work based on severe economic hardship.