Criminal Justice Major with Police Academy Option at Neumann University
Neumann University is proud to partner with Delaware County College’s Municipal Police Academy to offer a Criminal Justice Major track which allows our students to complete both their B.A. in Criminal Justice and the Police Academy training in four years. Undergraduates who choose this option will spend spring and summer Semester of their third year at the DCCC-MPA undertaking their training. Upon completion of their police academy training students will return to Neumann University for their final semester. In addition to the benefits of completing your academy training and graduating with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, students who undertake this option will have substantially reduced tuition during their time at the DCCC-MPA.
Municipal Police Academy Entrance Requirements
For over twenty-five years, Delaware Community College’s Municipal Police Academy has provided the training required of all municipal police officers in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The minimum standards consist of required subjects and prescribed hours of instruction as approved by the Municipal Police Officer’s Education and Training Commission in accordance with Legislative Act 120. Please note that declaration of police academy track in Neumann University’s Criminal Justice major is not a guarantee of acceptance to the DCCC-MPA as the police academy has additional entrance requirements listed below. Upon declaration of your major at Neumann University students in the Municipal Police Academy track begin their first steps to a career in law enforcement.
To ensure the safety of the students, the College and the general public, DCCC has instituted nine entrance requirements for admission to the Municipal Police Academy:
- Psychological Evaluation – Applicants are required to take the Minnesota Multivariate Personality Inventory (MMPI), administered by a licensed psychologist. Applicants will be notified of the testing date
- Reading and Writing Placement Tests
- Health Examination – Each applicant is required to have a physical examination by a licensed physician. The necessary paperwork will be provided to applicants and completed forms must be submitted at the time of physical fitness testing
- Physical Fitness Test – Each applicant is required to pass a physical fitness test prior to being admitted to the Academy. Applicants will be notified of the testing date
- Criminal Background Check – Each applicant must pass a criminal background check according to the regulations of Act 120
- High School Diploma/GED – Proof of High School graduation or GED is required of all applicants
- Valid Automobile Driver’s License
- Certified Driver’s Check
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States in order to be admitted to the Academy and must provide proof of same (birth certificate or passport)