USA flag

For further assistance, please contact

Office University Registrar
(610) 558-5524

For more details about the G.I. Bill ®, please visit the G.I. Bill ® Web site.

Education Benefits

With your veterans benefits, you can move one step closer to reaching your highest educational goals. You could qualify for benefits that help you afford your education, including tuition assistance, an annual stipend for books and supplies, payments to cover loans and more.

How to Use your Benefits at Neumann:

  1. Contact the Veterans Association that is associated with your benefits. Request a copy of the document pertaining to your benefits. For example, you should have a DD-214, DD 2384, or certificate of eligibility if you are a dependent.
  2. Complete one of the following which pertain to your benefits:

    VA 22-1990 Form (pdf) - I am veteran and I am requesting first time benefits

    VA 22-1995 Form (pdf) - I am a veteran and I am requesting a change of program or place of training. (This can be used for transfer students as well as students who are changing programs)

    VA 22-5490 Form (pdf) - I am a spouse of a deceased or disabled veteran

    VA-22-5495 Form (pdf) - I am a spouse of a deceased or disabled veteran and I am requesting a change of program or place of training

  3. Complete an Education Benefits Questionnaire (pdf)
  4. Send in your VA paperwork, along with the Education Benefits Questionnaire to:

Neumann University
Registrar’s Office
One Neumann Drive
Aston, PA 19014

Neumann University makes it easy to determine which benefit program is best for you. Read below to learn about eligibility requirements and specific benefits for each of the available programs.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) assists students who entered active duty for the first time after July 1, 1985, and who agreed to have their pay reduced by $100 for 12 months. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge and active-duty personnel must have served at least two years to be eligible to use their benefits.

Certain veterans and active-duty military personnel who were eligible for educational assistance under the Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34) on December 31, 1989, may be eligible for benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill if they have served on active duty since October 19, 1984, without a break in service and served three continuous years on active duty from June 30, 1985, through June 30, 1988, or served two continuous years on active duty followed by four years in the selected reserves after June 30, 1985. A break in service of 90 days or less during the period October 19, 1984, through June 30, 1985, will not disqualify a person from eligibility for benefits. However, a break in active duty of any length after June 30, 1985, will disqualify a person for Chapter 30. These participants are not required to make contributions to the program. Certain individuals who are voluntarily or involuntarily separated from active duty with an honorable discharge may elect to participate and make a $1,200 contribution to the Montgomery GI Bill program before separating from active duty. This includes individuals who may have participated in the Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP - Chapter 32).

Active duty members may contribute up to an additional $600 to their Montgomery GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. An additional $600 contribution allows an additional $5,400 over the 36 month eligibility period. The "buy-up" program contribution must be made prior to leaving active duty and is only payable after leaving active duty.

Individuals are allowed 36 months of full-time entitlement. Participants who have eligibility through the Vietnam Era GI Bill have 36 months of entitlement or the amount of entitlement they have remaining from Chapter 34, whichever is less. Benefits must be used within 10 years from the date the individual was last discharged from active duty.

Tuition Assistance Top-up is available to students on active duty and approved to use federal tuition assistance, and eligible for Chapter 30, the Montgomery GI Bill.

On October 30, 2000 an amendment to the Montgomery GI Bill was signed into law which permits the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay a Tuition Assistance Top-up benefit. Prior to this law, all branches of the military could pay up to 75% of a service member's tuition and expenses through the Tuition Assistance program. Service members were required to pay the remaining costs of their tuition bill themselves and they were not allowed to receive Tuition Assistance and use their Montgomery GI Bill for the same course. With the passing of the law, all branches of the military are allowed to pay 100% of the service member's tuition and expenses. When the military cannot or does not cover 100% of the tuition and expenses, a service member, eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill can elect to receive his or her benefits for all or part of the remaining expenses.

The use of Tuition Assistance Top-up reduces future entitlement to the Montgomery GI Bill and service members should carefully consider their situations. For further information on Tuition Assistance Top-up, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site:

Top-up payments are subject to the same limits that apply to chapter 30 monthly benefits. For example, a student who receives Tuition Assistance for a course or courses that would be payable at the half-time rate for chapter 30, could receive a Top-up payment equal to the cost of the course not covered by Tuition Assistance up to the amount payable for the half-time rate for the period of the course.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) provides assistance to veterans who have a service-connected disability of at least 20 percent and are in need of vocational rehabilitation.

Eligible veterans may be allowed up to 48 months of full-time benefits. Veterans generally have 12 years from the date they are notified of their entitlement to the program.

You may be eligible for Chapter 31 benefits if you are rated 10% disabled; however it must be determined that you have a serious employment handicap.

The Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32 - VEAP) extends benefits to active-duty personnel and veterans who enlisted in the military between January 1, 1977, and July 11, 1985. Veterans must have been released under conditions other than dishonorable. Individuals must have contributed voluntarily to an educational fund through monthly pay reductions of $25 to $100, up to a maximum of $2,700. Contributions are matched at the rate of two dollars for each dollar contributed. (Eligibility to enroll in VEAP ended on March 31, 1987.)

Individuals are eligible to receive monthly benefits for the number of months they contributed or for 36 months, whichever is less. Eligibility in the program expires 10 years for the date of the participant's discharge or release from active duty. Participants in this program are allowed to request a refund of any remaining unused benefits.

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 provides benefits to individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. These individuals must have served at least 90 aggregate days or have been discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Under this bill, veterans may receive benefits for training they pursue on or after August 1, 2009. Benefits are not available for training pursued prior to that date. Eligible training includes undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs pursued at a university or college that is authorized to grant an associate’s degree or higher.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

This bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Benefits are generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Payments are based on the amount of service you completed after September 10, 2001. You will receive a larger benefit if you served more active duty or mobilization time.

If you are eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may receive:

  • Payment for tuition and fees sent directly to your university or college
  • Monthly housing allowance*
  • Annual book stipend of $1,000*
  • One-time rural benefit payment of $500

Maximum benefits are earned if you served an aggregate of 36 months or more on active duty service or after 30 days of continuous service if you were discharged for a service connected disability after September 10, 2001. If you served between 90 days and 36 months of aggregate active duty service, you will be eligible for a percentage of the maximum benefits.

*Note: The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable if you are on active duty, enrolled as a half-time student or less and enrolled in distance learning.

Choosing Your GI Bill Benefits

If you meet the eligibility requirements for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, as well as other GI Bills, such as the Montgomery GI Bill, you will be required to choose which benefit you wish to receive. For some individuals, your choice may be irrevocable. The Post-9/11 GI Bill may provide a better benefits package in terms of eligibility criteria, period of eligibility and financial value in comparison to existing educational benefit programs that remain in effect. However, the best program for you, if you are eligible for multiple educational benefit programs, will depend on your individual circumstance. Please review the eligibility requirements that apply for specific benefits and compare these benefits to those offered under other GI Bills for more information.

Survivors and Dependents Benefits (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits to spouses and children of veterans who either died while in service, died as a result of a service-connected disability, or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of their military service.

Survivors and dependents are allowed 45 months of full-time benefits. Spouses have 10 years from the date of the veteran's effective date of permanent and total disability rating or the veteran's death. Dependents' benefits end on their 26th birthday or eight years from the veteran's effective date of permanent or total disability rating or the veteran's death, but not after the dependent's 31st birthday.

On December 23, 2006 an additional category of spouses and children were determined eligible for Chapter 35 benefits. The new category includes the spouse or child of a veteran who the VA determines: has a service connected 100% disability and at the time of the determination is active duty, hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care and likely to be discharged from service due to the service connected disability.

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606) benefits are available to reservists who enlist, reenlist, or extend an enlistment in the Selected Reserve for not less than six years on or after July 1, 1985. For officers, the six-year period is in addition to any other obligated period of service. Eligibility for the program requires that the reservists have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent. In addition, the reservist must have completed Initial Active Duty Training (IADB). Finally, a reservist must be participating in training at the time benefits are used.

A reservist is allowed 36 months of full-time benefits.

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) is available to students who are members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve, and National Guard and were called to active service in response to a war or national emergency. The Department of Defense or Department of Homeland Security determines eligibility but generally a member of a Reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 for at least 90 days is eligible.

Section 901 (Educational Assistance Test Program) and Section 903 (Educational Assistance Pilot Program) benefits are available to students whom the Department of Defense chose for participation from among those who enlisted between November 30, 1980, and September 30, 1981.

Participants are allowed 36 months of full-time benefits that must be used within 10 years from the date of last separation from active duty.

The National Call to Service Program became effective October 1, 2003. Eligibility for the program involves a three-tiered service requirement to be approved by the Secretary of Defense. Individuals who participate in the program have a choice of benefits the include: a cash bonus, repayment of student loans, entitlement to educational benefits equal to the three year monthly Chapter 30 rate for 12 months or entitlement to educational benefits to fifty percent of the less than three year monthly Chapter 30 rate for 36 months.

Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors (REPS) may be available to certain survivors of deceased veterans in addition to Chapter 35 benefits. Eligibility for these benefits is limited to unmarried full-time students between the ages of 18 and 22 whose parent died while on active duty before August 13, 1981, or who died as a result of a service-connected disability incurred before August 13, 1981. These benefits are similar to the benefits eliminated from Social Security. The amount of the benefits is based on information from the Social Security Administration.

Students who are applying for benefits for the first time must complete DVA form 21-8924, Application of Surviving Spouse or Child for REPS Benefits.

Students eligible for benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 1606, and 35 may be eligible for tutorial assistance from the DVA. To receive the benefit, a student must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (6 semester hours) or greater. Students must show deficiency in a course or courses required for their degree program. Students who are eligible, may receive a maximum monthly payment of $100. The maximum total benefit is $1,200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 of tutorial assistance. To apply, students must complete DVA form 22-1990t, and the Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance.

Students eligible for benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35, and 1606 may be eligible to participate in the DVA work-study program. To receive the benefit, a student must be enrolled on at least a three-quarter-time basis (9 semester hours) or greater. Students may work at DVA-approved sites up to 400 hours during a semester. Payment is at the federal or state minimum wage, whichever is greater. To apply, students must complete DVA form 20-8691, Application for Work-Study Allowance, and mail it to their nearest Regional Office.