Miller’s New Book:
History of Williamson College of the Trades
Andrew Miller, a history instructor, is the author of a new book entitled Williamson College of the Trades. The book is a history of the Middletown Township school that Quaker businessman and philanthropist Isaiah V. Williamson founded in 1888 to provide financially disadvantaged young men with useful trade skills.
To this day, the students at Williamson receive free room and board and pay no tuition for their education. They report for morning inspection, attend daily chapel, and split their days between the classroom and the shop. Originally called the Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades, the institution changed its name in 2015.
“Williamson has remained relevant in a changing world while still maintaining its core values of faith, integrity, diligence, excellence and service,” writes Miller. “The school helps disadvantaged young men learn an important trade and doesn’t burden them with any debt. Williamson instills good character and citizenship, and its graduates are always in high demand.”
The Neumann professor spent two years researching and writing the 127-page book, including days scouring the Williamson archives for photos that help tell the school’s story. The foreword is written by Michael Rounds, president of Williamson and a retired U.S. Army officer.
Book signings are scheduled for the Middletown Free Library on March 3 at 2 p.m. and for the Middletown Township Historical Society at Lima Estates on March 20 at 7 p.m.